Last week Premier David Eby declared a state of Emergency in response to the Wild Fires in BC.
Previously Restricting travel to and from the Okanagan – but as of Wednesday last week some restrictions were lifted – Kelowna airport has been opened.
Noting: more than 380 Active Wildfires burning in our Province.
3,400 fire fighters deployed
6,800 hectares of land affected (68 sq kms)
Hardest hit areas were in West Kelowna in the McDougal Creek region
Significant loss of property and threat to people’s safety…
- More than 20,000 people were under an evacuation order… some have been lifted.
- 700 residents from 8 senior care facilities were relocated
- Emergency services have been strained.
We have been in contact with several churches and emergency response organizations…
Onsite partners include…
- Emmanuel Church – West Kelowna
- Evangel Church – Kelowna
- The House – Kelowna
- The Embassy – Kelowna
- PAOC – ERDO (Emergency Relief and Dev)
- Convoy of Hope
The greatest areas of need…
- Emergency Response
- Supplies: Water, food, toiletries, clothing.
- Accommodations: RV Supplies, blankets.
- Kid’s Supplies and Activities
- Supplies for pets
- Respite materials for front line workers.
Here’s my appeal to you as a partner of our Network of churches and ministry organizations
- Please pray… for the displaced residents and the front-line workers.
- Please give….We have set up a giving portal on our website BCYD.CA/giving at the link below. Choose the “Fire Relief” fund when making your donation through our online giving platform.
- 100% of your financial support will go directly into the relief efforts, distributed via our affiliated churches and partners.